FAMILY MINISTER SEARCH
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church Director of Family Ministries
• St. Barnabas Episcopal Church seeks a Part-time Director of Family Ministries who is called to sustain and expand family programs with our congregation. The Director of Family Ministries creates a welcoming and nurturing environment, in which our families experience community and develop spirituality, and are able to build trusting relationships and the sense that the church is home. The director will recruit and develop an engaged team of volunteer leaders, oversee all related youth curriculum, programs, and activities, and create meaningful connections with youth members of the church, leading them into a deeper relationship with God and one another, and into service in the world.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
● Plan, organize, develop, implement and supervise family ministry activities, including spiritual formation, youth programs, and family programs, including:
o Prepare and lead youth care and education for different age groups
focused on building a firm faith foundation, ensuring the youth know what they believe and why (including Godly Play, Sunday School, and Youth Groups) o Manage the staffing and safety of the church nursery o Encourage and teach Christian service through regular service
opportunities o Organize and lead special activities such as youth retreats,
church-sponsored mission trips, and one-week summer arts camp
● Publicize family programs to families, the general congregation, and the community.
● Communicate with families through mailings, email and phone calls, and home visits.
● Coordinate participation for families, children and youth with other programs available within the diocese and the broader community.
● Consult with families to determine outreach opportunities in the broader community.
● Develop, organize, and coordinate a week-long enrichment summer program.
● Develop congregational awareness of family ministry programs and implement strategies to reach out, track, and communicate with newcomers.
● Identify, recruit and develop potential leaders for the various programs of the family ministry.
● Guide and coordinate efforts of volunteers in all facets of church family ministry.
● Promote strict adherence to parish policy concerning training for all leaders in the prevention of sexual misconduct, including completion of Safeguarding God’s Children training
● Provide leadership for fundraising events such as the annual peach sale.
Congregational life and worship:
● Attend worship services regularly to promote congregational awareness of family ministry programs.
● Oversee planning of family programs such as the Advent event, Christmas pageant, Palm Saturday workshop, retreats and other gatherings.
● Collaborate with the rector in ensuring the needs of youth are met in traditional worship, support Acolyte ministry, and occasionally share in occasional preaching, teaching and pastoral care.
● Attend church staff meetings and submit Family Ministry reports.
● Organize and train volunteer leaders to partner the Family Ministry program as necessary.
● Develop recommendations for the Family Ministry budget.
● Purchase supplies and materials, and make other expenditures as included in the approved Family Ministry budget.
● Develop a long-range plan for Family Ministry in consultation with the Rector.
● Adult Christian with an active church involvement who enjoys working with families, including children and youth. Candidate must be biblically knowledgeable with a passion for creating an environment in which children, youth, and families can develop their relationship with God.
● 2-3 years of experience working in a meaningful capacity such as teaching, social work, counseling, or other related work with families and children.
● A deep understanding that all are welcome to share in God’s love
● The ability to relate to youth of all ages, meeting them at their level, but still serving as a responsible adult leader
● Team player with the ability to work collaboratively with Parish Leadership, parents, children, and youth to develop Family Ministry programs.
● Willingness to seek training in youth ministry, theology, etc.
● Educational requirements: undergraduate degree required
● Must submit to and pass background check
● Experience in family or youth ministry
● Experience in volunteer management.
● Experience with Godly Play, Rock Solid, and Journey to Adulthood curriculums.
● Degree in ministry, social work, education, or related field
Salary is based on competitive positions and will be commensurate with related experience and education. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to StB.DFM.Search@gmail.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until October 31, 2018.